A simple way to remember which lube for which riding conditions? Wet lubes for normal to wet conditions, dry lubes for normal to dry conditions.
Now, let's figure out which type of lube is the best for you and the way you ride.
Wet lubes are typically oil based and are designed to lubricate as well as displace water, thereby protecting the chain from wear and rust. Although wet lubes are best for wet conditions, they tend to attract dirt and are best suited for riders that keep a regular maintenance schedule...cleaning and lubing frequently to avoid grimy build-up attracted by the wet lube. Some wet lubes are now formulated with additives traditionally used in dry lubes. The most common of these are PTFE's(Fluoropolymers like Teflon®) and wax. These additives enhance wear protection while maintaining the basic wet lube characteristics.
- Best for wet conditions, stays on when wet.
- Fills gaps in chain and component parts to inhibit water and contaminants from entering.
- Longer lasting than dry lubes, allowing for less frequent application, although avid riders will find themselves cleaning and lubing more often to avoid grimy build-up.
- Resists salt corrosion
- Better at reducing drivetrain noise.
- Attracts dust and grime.
- Requires more frequent clean and lube cycles to keep chain operating optimally.
Summary: Wet lubes are best suited for these conditions.
- Frequent stream crossings on trails
- Commuters and kids that may encounter various weather conditions on their way to work or school
- Marine environments
- Best for dry or dusty conditions
- Stays cleaner than a wet lube in similar conditions
- New lube can be applied between frequent short rides without dirty build-up
- Less clean and lube cycles required over multiple applications
- Washes off in wet conditions
- Requires frequent application for continued protection
- Dusty or dry conditions on the road or trail
- Warm weather riding when weather is not a factor
- Cruisers or kid's bikes that will encounter dusty or sandy surfaces
20% off coupon!
We really want you to try our products! So for visitors to this page we are offering a one time discount of 20% towards any RocRide® bike lube product.
Need something besides lubes?
Leave a comment